Something Else

By Kathryn Cave and Chris Riddell
Published by Puffin
All ages



This is one of my all time favourite picture books that touched my heart immediately. I believe should be considered a 'classic'. It has deservedly won the UNESCO Prize and been shortlisted for the Smarties Prize and the Kate Greenaway Medal. 

'Something Else' (pictured on the cover with his adorable mini-me teddy that I love) is called that because that's how everyone else sees him. He is 'different' and made to feel lonely for it. Until he meets another creature considered 'different'...

The text is simple and short, but, paired with such vivid and emotional illustrations proves so powerful in few words:

 'He didn't see the things they saw'.

The first time I read it - and I mean read Riddell's expressive pictures just as much as Cave's text - I nearly cried with the empathy I felt for 'Something Else'. 

This story is about friendship being found in accepting difference. What a beautiful message. What a beautiful book. 


Buy on Waterstones.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Impossible Creatures

Arkspire by Jamie Littler

The Legend of Podkin One-Ear